Monday, March 26, 2012

A special quilt for a special friend


I have been working on a quilt for a friend of mine that was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
 You all saw this quilt in my last, and so long ago, post. Back then I did not know what I was going to do with it once it was finished. But then a few months after I finished it, Jamie was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer, stage 3. I wanted to make her something special, and of course it would be a quilt! I wanted it to be pink but not too pinkie. I saw this quilt top under my cutting table, and new it would be perfect!! I love the pops of pink mixed with yellow, green, periwinkle, and black. I wanted Jamie to have something to keep her warm during her treatments. But I also wanted her to wrap herself up in this quilt and feel the energy of all those that love her. I had many ideas on how I would do this like, having family and friend sign the quilt with a fabric marker. But that would have taken too long to send it out, and I was worried about the condition it would return in. Then I thought of adding the
words to the quilt like I did with Sophie's quilt. What better way for her to remember that her friends and family are thinking of her and sending wishes of "strength, love, and hope" than for her to read them sewn into her quilt. This quilt represents the journey she will endure for the next 7 months. Jamie will need to keep "faith, optimism, and courage" so that in the end she will have "healing, fight, live strong, cancer free, survivor"! All those words are in random blocks on her quilt. I have place the words"family" and "friendship" in he center of the quilt.

So now when she starts her chemo, she can wrap herself up, stay warm, and know that she is loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment